Marines Injured in Work Related Accident
NBCDFW reported that a sudden burst of fire at a Marine Corps air station has injured two Marines who were performing routine aircraft maintenance.
The United States Marine Corps stated that the fire erupted after 10 p.m. Sunday at Air Station Miramar in the San Diego, California area. The Marines were being treated for severe burns at the regional burn center at UC San Diego Health. “Technically, this was a ‘ground flash fire’ rather than an ‘explosion,'” Major Kurt Stahl, a MCAS Miramar spokesman, told NBC San Diego.
“The cause is under investigation.” The Marines were identified as members of Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 112 (VMDA-112), from a reserve unit based in Fort Worth, Texas.
When signing up for active duty in the military, there is always that chance of on the job injury, but surprisingly many other seemly less dangerous jobs have high chances of injury. To understand the amount of yearly work-related injuries, view the statistics below.
Statistics for Fatal and Non-Fatal Occupational Injuries, Texas, 2015
Source: Texas Department of Insurance
- In 2015 a total of 527 people died due to Workforce Injuries.
- Of the 527 people, 431 were waged or salary employees.
- The remaining 96 percent injured were self-employed.
- 22 of the people killed in 2015 due to workforce injuries were women.
- The other 505 people who died due to a workforce accident were men.
- A total of 256 people reported non-fatal workforce injuries.
- 62 people had to spend time away from work due to injuries.
- 70 people had to work with restrictions or be transferred to another job within the company due to injuries.
- The numbers for non-fatal injuries seems very low. Perhaps many workplace injuries are not reported to the state out of fear of state intervention or go unreported for some other reason.
San Antonio Work Place Injury Attorney
These Texas USMC reservists are lucky to be alive. Work related accidents like this can often turn fatal. These reservists are performing a hazardous job while working on aircraft. It does not matter if they are members of the military, or in the private sector, anyone can be injured at work. Many people are injured every year on the job as shown in the above statistical data. Too often the employing company is quick to cast the worker to the side and continue production. Do not let this happen to you. If you have been injured on the job, please do not hesitate to give our offices a call.