A car accident with a commercial vehicle can be a scary experience. It can result in severe injuries, emotional trauma, and financial stress. Big rig trucks are massive in size and weigh significantly more than passenger vehicles. That means that occupants of smaller vehicles tend to suffer more severe injuries in truck accidents. If you were injured in a commercial vehicle accident, you could be owed financial compensation.The following specific steps could help protect your rights and allow you to seek compensation from the at-fault driver after a commercial vehicle accident. Contacting truck accident lawyer and gathering as much evidence as possible is crucial. Find out what else you should do here.
At the SceneBefore you leave the scene of an 18-wheeler accident, take these steps to protect your rights:
- Call 911 – Report the accident and request an ambulance.
- Move to safety if possible – If your injury and vehicle damage is minor, move your vehicle to safety.
- Don’t leave until someone responds – Stay where you are until emergency personnel arrives, provides emergency medical assistance, and documents the crash.
- Take pictures – Take pictures of your visible injuries, damage to the vehicles, and debris in the road.
- Document everything – Write down everything you can remember about the accident. That might include what you saw the truck driver doing, the exact location of the crash, and any hazards that could have led to the accident, such as a pothole.
Exchange InformationIt’s crucial to identify the driver, their vehicle, and the insurance coverage the truck driver carries. Ask them for these details:
- Name and phone number
- Trucking company name and phone number
- Insurance carrier name and policy number