If you are involved in a car accident, this insurance settlement claim checklist explains what to do after an accident.
File Your Claim Early
While Texas law generally gives you two years after a car accident to file a lawsuit for damages stemming from the accident, there is typically no benefit to waiting this long. The sooner you start the claims process, the sooner a car accident lawyer can begin negotiating for your fair compensation. Additionally, your lawyer can gather and preserve evidence to support your car insurance claim.
Keep Original Records About the Accident
After an auto accident in Midland, TX, you may start to accumulate a lot of records related to your accident. Keep track of your:
- Medical records, including bills, imaging results, doctor’s notes, and a log of your treatment
- Employment records that show the time you missed from work while you were recovering for your injuries or any change in your employment status caused by the accident or your injuries
- Police report and statements witnesses made about the accident
- Receipts for repairing or replacing your vehicle and other damaged personal property, as well as receipts for a rental vehicle
- Avoid giving a recorded statement to the insurance and get any requests or information from the insurance company in writing.
Calculate Your Losses
You may be able to obtain compensation for the damages you suffer because of the accident, such as:
- Property damage
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
Send a Demand Letter to the Insurance Company
Your car accident lawyer can help calculate the full value of your claim to negotiate from a position of strength. Then, they can send a detailed demand letter to the insurance company that justifies your request for full compensation. Your lawyer will know how to emphasize points in your favor to support your demand.
Do Not Accept the Initial Offer
A common tactic insurance companies play is to make you a fast offer for an insurance settlement. Their representatives figure that you’ll be desperate for cash to pay your mounting medical bills and other expenses following the accident. However, the initial offer is rarely the most compensation you can expect for your claim.
How KRW Lawyers Can Help You with Your Odessa Accident Claim
If you were injured in an accident in Midland or Odessa, TX, the compassionate attorneys at KRW Lawyers are here to help. If you retain our services, we will get to work immediately on your claim, gathering evidence and building a solid case to support your claim. We will fight tirelessly for the compensation you deserve.
Thank you for being an essential part of the KRW Lawyers family. Our personal injury attorneys are ready to serve you and the Texans we love. Please call 432-239-1224 and schedule your free consultation today or contact our Odessa office for more information.