A 22-year-old San Antonio man was shot outside his home on the South Side Monday afternoon, according to news sources( ksat12.) The incident occurred just after 1 p.m. in the 100 block of West Vestal Place.
San Antonio Police Chief William McManus said as many as three people disembarked from a Ford Focus and asked for the victim, Michael Calderon, by name. When Calderon encountered the assailants began an argument that soon turned into a violent assault on Calderon by multiple assailants. In an attempt to protect himself or retaliate, Calderon brandished a gun and started firing at his assailants as they fled the scene and returned to their car. At this point, one of the men who returned to the car retrieved a gun and returned fire. Calderon was hit twice in the upper torso, causing near fatal injuries. The victim was transported to San Antonio Military Medical Center where he later died.
San Antonio police soon made an arrest and took Ace Austin Martinez, 24, into custody on a charge of capital murder after a tipster came forward giving them Martinez’s name and telling them that Martinez had confessed to committing the murder of Calderon. Officials believed from information received by the tipster that it was indeed Martinez who fired the fatal shot that killed Calderon. In an affidavit obtained by police stated that Calderon’s girlfriend told police they were outside his home when three men exited the car, walked up, began arguing with the victim which soon progressed to the vicious assault.
Although the attack was caught on surveillance camera, police were not able to identify of any of the men in the video.
So far there has been no definitive motive determined for the assault or shooting. Although at this time no further specifics are given for the assault, an investigation continues.
Crime Facts at a Glance 2014 According to the Texas Department of Public Safety:
- There were 913,403 index crime offenses reported with a 20.3 percent clearance rate for Texas in 2014.
- The crime rate for the State of Texas was 3,392.2 index offenses for every 100,000 inhabitants.
- During 2014, Texas law enforcement officers made 878,686 arrests. Of those arrested, 6.6 percent were 16 years of age and under.
- Firearms were used in 63.3 percent of all murders reported.
- There were 65,338 aggravated assaults reported. Of these, 21.3 percent were committed by the use of hands, fists, and feet; 21.4 percent involved a knife or cutting instrument, and 24.2 percent involved a firearm.
- 185,817 family violence incidents during 2014. There were 201,051 victims and 195,511 offenders.
- There were 18,756 sexual assault incidents reported with 19,834 victims and 19,821 offenders.
San Antonio Wrongful Death Lawyers
Many motives are sometimes difficult to determine in these cases as it becomes a “he said, she said” account from different sources. Even when law enforcement performs an intense investigation, there are still possibilities of unknowns involved in the case. If you feel you have been wrongly accused of a heinous crime such as murder, and feel the facts were never fully revealed, we would like the opportunity to be your advocate if your suspicions are correct. If this applies to you or a loved one, please call our office and speak with one of our staff and schedule a free, no cost to you, one-time consultation.