Police Search for Hit and Run Suspect
KWTX reported on July 11, 2017, that Bellmead, Texas, Police have identified a person of interest as well as a vehicle in connection to a deadly hit-and-run that occurred last week.
36-year-old Jana McElyea of West died when she was struck by a car while crossing New Dallas Highway near Montrose Street around 9:15 p.m. on Monday, July 3, 2017. An affidavit released by Bellmead investigators in a search warrant for the case states the suspected parties knowingly and intentionally committed the accident involving the death of McElyea. Bellmead PD continues their investigation for the suspect missing and says there may be more than one suspect in the case. McElyea’s husband Leon McElyea is offering a $500 reward to find the suspect(s).
This accident is a tragedy. It’s very sad that the husband of the deceased wife has to offer an award to try to catch the suspect. It’s bad enough that the woman lost her life, but is it unfathomable that the person who hit her will not take responsibility for his or her actions. This is disgusting, and we wish the police the best in their endeavor to bring this criminal who took a young life to justice and hopefully bring some degree of closure to the family.
2015 Pedestrian Fatalities
According to the National Center for Statistics and Analysis
- Pedestrian fatalities increased by 466, a 9.5 percent increase.
- The 2015 pedestrian fatality count (5,376) is the highest number since 1996.
- Pedal cyclist fatality count (818) is the highest number since 1995.
- The number of people injured increased by 19=05,00, a statistically significant 4.5 percent increase.
- The number of passenger vehicle occupants injured increased 107,000, a 5.2 percent increase.
- Pedestrians injured increased by 5,000, a 7.7 percent increase.
- Fatalities of pedestrians increased by 466 (a 9.5 percent increase), and are at their highest number since 1996.
- Pedal cyclist fatalities increased by 89 (a 12.2 percent increase), and are at their highest level since 1995.
San Antonio Wrongful Death Attorney
What a sad, tragic story. It is terrible enough when a person is hit by a car. This case seems so much more tragic as the person fled the scene where the young woman died. Hopefully, the police are able to make a break and catch the perpetrator. The reality, however, is that even if the police do catch the suspect and convict him, there will still be a hole that cannot be filled in the hearts of the family who suffered this massive loss. Not to mention the financial struggle of losing a loved one. If you have lost a loved one due to a hit and run accident, please do not delay, and give our offices a call.