Sanangelolive.com reported that, according to Texas DPS at the scene, the orange or red 2005 Hyundai passenger car was traveling west on Glass Road and did not yield to the right-of-way of a northbound black 2016 Toyota Tundra on U.S. 87 at a stop sign. The Tundra T-boned the Hyundai on the car’s passenger side. The Hyundai caught fire and the sole occupant was killed, DPS said.
The Tundra careened across the narrow ditch on the east side of the four-lane, divided highway. There were three people in the Toyota Tundra and they were all three transported to the hospital.
The crash occurred at 10:09 p.m. on August 31. The posted speed limit for this particular road is 75 mph. It was reported that weather was not an issue. There were clear skies and a dry road.
Friday morning, DPS released the names of the crash victims. Killed was Adrian Ismael Rodriguez, 27, of San Angelo. He was driving a red 2005 Hyundai Accent. Driving the black Tundra was Joseph Angelo Corona, 61, of Laredo. With him were Katherine May Corona, 57, also of Laredo; and Mary Corona, 17, of Laredo. None of the occupants in the Tundra were seriously injured.
Auto Accident Statistics
According to the Texas Motor Vehicle Traffic Crash Facts 2015:
- Primarily based on reportable crashes in 2015, 1 person was killed every 2 hours, 29 minutes. Additionally, 1 person was injured every 2 minutes 8 seconds and 1 reportable crash occurred every 61 seconds.
- There were 581 people killed in head-on crashes in 2015.
- Of all persons killed in vehicles where restraint usage was applicable and usage was known in 2015, 40.3% were reported as not restrained when the fatal crash occurred.
- 246,335 people were injured in motor vehicle traffic crashes in 2015.
- The fatality rate on Texas roadways for 2015 was 1.43% deaths per hundred million vehicle miles traveled. This is a 2.05% decrease from 2014.
- Also, Texas experienced a decrease in the number f motor vehicle traffic fatalities. The 2015 death toll of 3,531 was a decrease of 0.14% from the 3,536 deaths recorded in 2014.
- There were 13,616 serious injury crashes in Texas in 2015 that resulted in over 17,000 people sustaining a serious injury.
- Fatalities in traffic crashes in rural areas of the state accounted for 54.52% of the state’s traffic fatalities. There were 1,925 deaths in rural traffic crashes.
- Ultimately, single vehicle, run-off the road crashes resulted in 1,255 deaths in 2015. This was 35.54% of all motor vehicle traffic deaths in 2015.
San Antonio Car Accident Attorney
There is much caution to take while driving an automobile. So many rules and regulations can become confusing to drivers. Traffic laws and signs are put into place as a way to help ensure the safety of all drivers and passengers. When someone does not adhere to these traffic laws, the consequences could be deadly as in the above story. This is the reason it is so important to pay close attention while driving and to always double check to make sure, by driving defensively, that other people are adhering as well. If it appears someone is going to make a fast to stop at a red light or stop sign, and other drivers are paying attention, they can prevent an accident. If you have been involved in an accident and are seeking legal advice, contact our law office for an evaluation to see if we can help. It is of no cost to you for your first consultation. Call us and schedule yours now.