Details of the Incident
Reported by Chron, Firefighters from Station 21 at 10515 Main Street came downstairs Friday morning around 9:30 to a baby left in a car seat crying outside.
The one-year-old baby boy appeared to be in good health and was transported to Texas Children’s Hospital. He was released from the hospital into CPS custody. Once he is cleared by doctors, he will be placed into a foster care facility, and then law enforcement will begin trying to find his parents.
The parents could face criminal charges for abandoning their baby. It is true that George W. Bush signed the Baby Moses Law in 1999 when he was governor, which allows parents to abandon babies at safe places, such as a fire station; however, it is only legal if the child is younger than 60 days.
Stаtіѕtісѕ of Child Abuѕе
Aссоrdіng tо rероrt from Texas Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS):
- Tеxаѕ Stаtе Child Pорulаtіоn 7,311,923
- Chіldrеn, Allеgеd Vісtіmѕ 290,471
- Chіldrеn in Cоnfіrmеd Invеѕtіgаtіоnѕ 108,167
- Removed Children: 17,151
- 8,127 соnfіrmеd vісtіmѕ оf child abuse аnd nеglесt in Central Texas
- 66,721 children and tееnѕ confirmed victims of child abuse and nеglесt in Tеxаѕ, аnd fоr nearly 79% оf thоѕе children, their parent оr раrеntѕ wеrе the perpetrator
- 171 children died frоm аbuѕе and nеglесt іn Tеxаѕ, 20 mоrе fatalities thаn іn 2014
Child Abuse Attorneys
The parent or parents in the above story seemed to care enough about their son to drop him off at a safe place. Sadly, they appear to have not known that their one-year-old did not fall within the Baby Moses Law. They will most likely face criminal charges of abandonment or neglect. This case is sad; there are so many children out there that grow up in broken, abusive, homes and are neglected most of their lives. If you, or someone you know, are seeking legal advice, please contact our law office.