Police Chase Ensues After Couple Highjack Taxi
KSAT12– A San Antonio cab driver allegedly picked up a man and woman on Saturday night around 11 p.m. He immediately got “a bad vibe” from them. He called his supervisor to see if he could offer them a free ride to get them out of his car without altercation. Suddenly, the couple pulled a knife on him. After quickly pulling into the parking lot of a Chuy’s Mexican restaurant, a small struggle ensued. It resulted in cuts to the driver’s hands, and the two suspects pushed the driver out of his car then proceed to drive off in it. The taxi driver was treated at the hospital and is reported to be okay.
A ground and air search for the two was conducted, but after the suspects had begun speeding, the officers on the ground stopped the chase. The helicopter continued to keep visual on the suspects until they came to an abrupt stop after crashing into another vehicle in the 19000 block of Bulverde Road.
The suspects were quickly apprehended, and the charges they face weren’t released.
Crime Facts at a Glance 2014 According to the Texas Department of Public Safety:
- There were 913,403 index crime offenses reported with a 20.3 percent clearance rate for Texas in 2014.
- The crime rate for the State of Texas was 3,392.2 index offenses for every 100,000 inhabitants.
- During 2014, Texas law enforcement officers made 878,686 arrests. Of those arrested, 6.6 percent were 16 years of age or under.
- Firearms used in 63.3 percent of all murders reported.
- There were 65,338 aggravated assaults reported. Of these, 21.3 percent were committed by the use of hands, fists, and feet. 21.4 percent involved a knife or cutting instrument, and 24.2 percent involved a firearm.
- 185,817 family violence incidents during 2014. There were 201,051 victims and 195,511 offenders.
- There were 18,756 sexual assault incidents reported with 19,834 victims and 19,821 offenders.
Aggravated Assault with a Deadly Weapon
The taxi driver was very fortunate to have gotten away from this volatile situation with only a few cuts to his hands. No one should have to fear to go to work. Assault of any kind is scary, surviving an attack with a deadly weapon many times strips one of their securities and makes them suspicious of everyone. If you or someone you know has been a victim of aggravated assault, contact our law offices.