According to KSAT, San Antonio police have caught up with three of the four people they believe are behind a May stabbing death outside of the popular Lulu’s Bakery & Cafe.
Faith Barrientes, 17, Genie Rose Aguilar, 20, Johnny Estrada, 20, and Ruben Arellano, 21, have all been charged with murder.
When San Antonio police officers arrived the morning of May 12, they found Brandon Lee Medina, 24, in the Lulu’s parking lot covered in blood after he was stabbed in the chest. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
Police found a witness walking away from the scene. More witnesses came forward after authorities released pictures of the people they were looking for and asking for tips from the public.
Police learned it was an alleged robbery setup. There was supposed to be an exchange of money for sex but it quickly had turned deadly.
The arrest documents detail how security footage from a nearby Motel 6 showed two women entering a room. A witness told police he was in the room, too, and after the women arrived, men ran in and attacked him and Medina.
Security footage showed Medina running out and the assault continuing.
Aguilar told police it was Estrada who stabbed Medina. The documents also said when the four suspects knew police were on to them, a witness told police he heard them trying to get their story straight.
As of Monday evening, Estrada, the alleged stabber, still hadn’t been booked.
Crime Facts at a Glance 2014 According to the Texas Department of Public Safety:
- There were 913,403 index crime offenses reported with a 20.3 percent clearance rate for Texas in 2014.
- The crime rate for the state of Texas was 3,392.2 index offenses for every 100,000 inhabitants.
- During 2014, Texas law enforcement officers made 878,686 arrests. Of those arrested, 6.6 percent were 16 years of age and under.
- Firearms were used in 63.3 percent of all murders reported.
- There were 65,338 aggravated assaults reported. Of these, 21.3 percent were committed by the use of hands, fists, and feet; 21.4 percent involved a knife or cutting instrument, and 24.2 percent involved a firearm.
- 185,817 family violence incidents during 2014. There were 201,051 victims and 195,511 offenders.
- There were 18,756 sexual assault incidents reported with 19,834 victims and 19,821 offenders.
National Coalition Against Domestic Violence 2015 Statistics:
- Every 9 seconds in the U.S., a woman is assaulted or beaten.
- In the United States, an average of 20 people are physically abused by intimate partners every minute. This equates to more than 10 million abuse victims annually.
- 1 in 3 women and 1 in 4 men have been physically abused by an intimate partner.
- 1 in 5 women and 1 in 7 men have been severely physically abused by an intimate partner.
- The presence of a gun in a domestic violence situation increases the risk of homicide by 500%.
- Domestic violence accounts for 15% of all violent crime.
- Domestic violence is most common among women between the ages of 18-24.
- 19% of domestic violence involves a weapon.
- Domestic victimization is correlated with a higher rate of depression and suicidal behavior.
- Only 34% of people who are injured by intimate partners receive medical care for their injuries.
San Antonio Wrongful Death Attorney
According to the above statistics, there were many incidents of assault and homicide with a weapon. When any type of weapon is introduced during an aggravated assault, the chances of a homicide is much greater. If you or someone you know has been affected by a wrongful death due to an aggravated assault and are seeking legal advice, contact our wrongful death attorneys and let us help you with your options.