According to KLTV 7, on October 1st, a Longview Police Officer, Shane McCarter said another officer was observing three vehicles that were sitting at a red light exhibiting actions that might indicate a car race situation. Slightly before the light turned green, the vehicles revved their engines and began to enter into a race on a public street. The policeman, who had been directed to watch for this type of crime, decided to engage in pursuit of the vehicles. Since there was the only officer involved in the pursuit, his strategy was forced to be, choose which vehicle to stop and pull over and so he chose the lead racer.
“He began evident pursuit of the lead vehicle in that particular incident,” says McCarter. “And followed it until he was able to make a safe traffic stop on it.”
The officer caught up with the lead vehicle signaled the driver to pull over. At this time the officer who had made pursuit stopped 18-year-old Jun Jesus Rico, and arrested him at the scene. Rico was booked into Gregg County Jail and he faces charges of racing on a highway and evading arrest/detention with a vehicle. Longview PD has noticed a more active street racing problem in the area and they are taking steps to deal with the problem.
“Knowing that we periodically have racing events that occur throughout the city, we educate and instruct our officers in the safest strategies for defusing these actions,” says McCarter. “We want them to focus in on those things out on the highways.”
Racing on a public street is a Class B misdemeanor that can result in a fine or jail time but McCarter says it’s the other consequences that greatly outweigh the enjoyment. The problem lies when the unsafe driving that occurs in race situations on public roads is that other motorists and pedestrians are often involved and then the activity becomes very dangerous.
“You talk about the possibility of the loss of life because individuals are racing,” says McCarter. “That right there should greatly weigh on anyone that might be considering entering into a race situation on a public roadway.”
Auto Accident Statistics
According to the Texas Motor Vehicle Traffic Crash Facts 2015:
- Primarily based on reportable crashes in 2015, 1 person was killed every 2 hours, 29 minutes. Additionally, 1 person was injured every 2 minutes 8 seconds and 1 reportable crash occurred every 61 seconds.
- There were 581 people killed in head-on crashes in 2015.
- Of all persons killed in vehicles where restraint usage was applicable and usage was known in 2015, 40.3% were reported as not restrained when the fatal crash occurred.
- 246,335 people were injured in motor vehicle traffic crashes in 2015.
- The fatality rate on Texas roadways for 2015 was 1.43% deaths per hundred million vehicle miles traveled. This is a 2.05% decrease from 2014.
- Also, Texas experienced a decrease in the number of motor vehicle traffic fatalities. The 2015 death toll of 3,531 was a decrease of 0.14% from the 3,536 deaths recorded in 2014.
- There were 13,616 serious injury crashes in Texas in 2015 that resulted in over 17,000 people sustaining a serious injury.
- Fatalities in traffic crashes in rural areas of the state accounted for 54.52% of the state’s traffic fatalities. There were 1,925 deaths in rural traffic crashes.
- Ultimately, single vehicle, run-off the road crashes resulted in 1,255 deaths in 2015. This was 35.54% of all motor vehicle traffic deaths in 2015.
San Antonio Car Accident Injury Attorneys
Street racing has long been a highly popular pastime for young people and some older. No one was hurt by the actions of the three young men in this incident, but often times, innocent people are harmed by another driver’s negligent acts. Speeding, driving drunk, texting, and several other actions have led to many accidents, injuries, and deaths. Because this crime previously has not been considered greatly harmful (therefore it’s Class B Felony designation)
The dire consequences that could come from these actions have not been taken very seriously beyond the initial act. In many cases, loss of life, debilitating injuries, huge non-covered medical bills and extreme emotional distress can be the product of this kind of entertainment. If you feel that this situation has happened to you or your loved one, we may be able to help you. if you have been in a wreck that has left you injured and has diminished your quality of life, contact our San Antonio car accident injury lawyers for a free case evaluation so we can discuss the details of your accident.