Details of the Arrest
According to KSAT News, Lone Star Fugitives Task Force team finally arrested a 21-year-old man in connection with the 2015 killing of Steven Cerna. This was the man whose body was found near the 1100 block of Shadwell Street in a drainage ditch in an area dubbed “Hell’s Gate.”
Robert Martinez was arrested while walking along a Westside street in San Antonio on Friday, June 2.
The reason behind the murder is still unclear, but police reported that the two might have known each other through a mutual friend, and it is suspected that the murder could have been gang related. Police are expecting to arrest two more people in relation to Cerna’s death.
Crime Facts at a Glance 2014 According to the Texas Department of Public Safety:
- There were 913,403 index crime offenses reported with a 20.3 percent clearance rate for Texas in 2014.
- The crime rate for the State of Texas was 3,392.2 index offenses for every 100,000 inhabitants.
- During 2014, Texas law enforcement officers made 878,686 arrests. Of those arrested, 6.6 percent were 16 years of age and under.
- Firearms were used in 63.3 percent of all murders reported.
- There were 65,338 aggravated assaults reported. Of these, 21.3 percent were committed by the use of hands, fists, and feet; 21.4 percent involved a knife or cutting instrument, and 24.2 percent involved a firearm.
- 185,817 family violence incidents during 2014. There were 201,051 victims and 195,511 offenders.
- There were 18,756 sexual assault incidents reported with 19,834 victims and 19,821 offenders.
San Antonio Wrongful Death Attorney
Although it has not been confirmed that this murder had anything to do with gang violence, police say it is highly likely, and they will not rule it out. Gang or no gang, this was a senseless killing that no doubt left a family broken and wanting justice, so they can start to heal. Whatever the disagreement was that led to this young man’s death, it was not worth his life. If you or someone you know has been affected by a tragedy such as the one in the above story and are seeking legal advice, please contact our law office.