KSAT12 reported that an 18-year-old driver was found deceased following a fatal rollover crash that occurred late Sunday night.
The rollover crash happened just before midnight in the 1300 block of Saur Lane. According to officials, Felix Salazar of New Braunfels was driving a 2008 Acura TL along with a company of female passengers when he lost control of his vehicle and slammed into a tree and fence line on the left side of the roadway. The effect caused the vehicle to roll end over end several times before it finally stopped facing upside down on the right side of the roadway.
Officers were called to the scene where they found debris scattered across both lanes and both ditches along the roadway. Salazar was not seen inside the car as he was already ejected from the car during the rollover. After searching the area, he was later found dead at the scene.
Police suspect the car was traveling at a high rate of speed and went air-born after going through a low water crossing. The investigation is ongoing to determine the cause of the crash, while no charges are expected to be filed according to the official.
Speeding a Possible Factor
It’s so heartbreaking that such young man had to die in such manner. Speeding is the number one cause of auto accidents in the United States. Traveling above the designated speed limit or making illegal lane changes without the proper use of signals substantially increases the risk of an auto crash. Aside speeds, there are numerous factors such as DUI, negligence, poor weather condition, defective and poorly maintained roads and distracted driving that can lead to a fatal accident. Most common types of distractions resulting in high rate of traffic accidents include eating, smoking, listening to loud music, smoking, reaching for objects in the vehicle, and looking or talking with other passengers in the vehicle.
Auto Accident Statistics According to Texas Motor Vehicle Traffic Crash Fact 2015:
- Based on reportable crashes in 2015, 1 person was killed every 2 hours 29 minutes, 1 person was injured every 2 minutes, 8 seconds, 1 reportable crash occurred every 61 seconds.
- There were 581 people killed in head-on crashes in 2015.
- Of all people killed in vehicles where restraint usage was applicable and usage was known in 2015, 40.4% were reported as not restrained when the fatal crash occurred.
- 3% were reported as not restrained when the fatal crash occurred.
- 246,335 people were injured in motor vehicle traffic crashes in 2015.
- There were 459 motorcyclists (operators and passengers) killed in 2015.
- Fifty two percent (52%) of motorcyclists killed were not wearing helmets at the time of the crash.
- The fatality rate on Texas roadways for 2015 was 1.43 deaths per hundred million vehicle miles traveled, this is a 2.05% decrease in the number of motor vehicle traffic fatalities. The 2015 death toll of 3,531 was a decrease of 0.14% from the 3,536 deaths recorded in 2014.
- There were 13,616 serious injury crashes in Texas in 2015 with 17,011 people sustaining a serious injury.
San Antonio Wrongful Death Lawyer
If your loved one has died in an accident due to the intentional or negligent acts of another, contact us today. We understand you are going through a difficult time and might be in the need of legal help in our situation. All initial confidential legal consultations are provided free of charge. You can speak to a skilled San Antonio Attorney who has experience in wrongful death lawsuits.