According to a mySA news report, a third teenager was arrested Thursday in a Northeast Side drug deal slaying after another suspect ratted him out to police. Emmanuel Herrera, 18, was charged with murder, a first-degree felony.
Herrera is the third person arrested in the fatal shooting of Gary Barnhardt during a drug deal around 1 a.m. Monday. After the shooting, Michael Aguilar and Charles Robnett, both 18, were arrested on murder charges. Robnett also faces a charge of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon in the shooting of a second victim who was with Barnhardt. The second victim was shot in the hand and is expected to be okay.
“Things went wrong and we had to shoot,” Herrera allegedly told his friend. Police secured a warrant for Herrera’s arrest on Thursday and took him into custody later that day. If convicted of the murder charge, Herrera could face between five and 99 years in prison.
2014 Crime Facts at a Glance According to the Texas Department of Public Safety:
- There were 913,403 index crime offenses reported with a 20.3 percent clearance rate for Texas in 2014.
- The crime rate for the state of Texas was 3,392.2 index offenses for every 100,000 inhabitants.
- During 2014, Texas law enforcement officers made 878,686 arrests. Of those arrested, 6.6 percent were 16 years of age and under.
- Firearms were used in 63.3 percent of all murders reported.
- There were 65,338 aggravated assaults reported. Of these, 21.3 percent were committed by the use of hands, fists, and feet; 21.4 percent involved a knife or cutting instrument, and 24.2 percent involved a firearm.
- 185,817 family violence incidents during 2014. There were 201,051 victims and 195,511 offenders.
- There were 18,756 sexual assault incidents reported with 19,834 victims and 19,821 offenders.
Wrongful Death Attorneys
Cases like this can be difficult to get through alone. There are a lot of people involved and many parts to the story. If you’ve lost a loved one due to the negligence of another person, you may need someone on your side who can help you get through this troubled time. Contact your San Antonio Wrongful Death Attorneys for a consultation today. Let us help your in your time of need.