Odessa Car Accident Lawyers
Odessa isn’t the largest city in Texas, but it is big enough to have many major roads and thoroughfares such as I-20, U.S. 385, BL I-20, Loop 338, and more. These roads are often crowded with vehicles traveling at high speeds, and it is not uncommon to see drivers who are distracted or are acting carelessly. Even on less major roadways, one person’s negligence can lead to life-changing injuries for you and your family.
Car accidents in Texas cause injuries to thousands of people every year and rob many families of their loved ones. If you are a victim of a crash in Odessa or have lost a loved one in a fatal collision, our Odessa car accident lawyers may be able to help you pursue compensation for your injuries and other losses.
Contact us today to set up a free consultation, and learn about all your legal options.
Steps You Should Take After a Car Accident in Odessa
In order to protect your right to a personal injury claim, it’s important that you take certain steps as soon as you can after a car accident. Even though you may be severely injured and unable to do some of the following on your own, you can ask a friend, family member, or your lawyer to act on your behalf. Steps to take after a car accident in Odessa include:
- Seek medical care. One of the biggest mistakes a person involved in a car accident can make is failing to seek medical care as soon as possible. Even if you are worried about how to pay for your care, you need to see a doctor. If you later file a claim for an injury and the insurance adjuster sees that you did not initially go to the doctor, the insurer may argue that you weren’t really injured.
- File an accident report. You must file a police report following a car accident. If you don’t have a police report and attempt to file an insurance claim, the insurance adjuster will likely deny or dispute the claim. You must also provide your insurance company with notice of the accident and injury as soon as possible, but preferably within 24 hours of the accident.
- Gather evidence. If you have suffered incapacitating injuries, gathering evidence can be difficult. This is where the service of a close friend or family member, or better yet ─ an experienced car accident attorney in Odessa ─ can be very helpful. Evidence critical to your claim might include police reports, photographs, witness testimony, physical evidence, proof of injuries, vehicle event data recorder information, and even the opinion of an accident reconstruction expert or other specialists.
- Hire a lawyer. It is especially crucial to hire an attorney if your injuries are serious, fault is undetermined, the other driver is uninsured, or if your claim has been denied or you have been offered less than you deserve. If you’re wondering when to get an attorney for a car accident, the best answer is: as soon as possible.
Who Can Be Held Responsible for Car Accidents in Odessa?
In Texas, people, companies, or other entities that cause car accidents are responsible for paying for them. If you are in a car accident, who will be held responsible is dependent on who caused the crash. Examples of those who may be held liable following an Odessa car accident include (but are not necessarily limited to):
- The at-fault driver. If another driver’s negligence was the cause of the crash, you can file a claim for damages against his or her insurance company, or directly against the driver. Examples of driver negligence include speeding, running a red light or stop sign, texting while driving, driving aggressively, etc.
- A manufacturer of a defective auto part. While most car accidents are the result of a driver’s negligence, some car accidents happen due to a defect in a vehicle or a vehicle part, such as a faulty steering component or defective tires. When this is the case, the party responsible for the defect ─ such as the vehicle manufacturer or distributor ─ may be held liable.
- Another third party. In some instances, a car accident may be caused by the actions of another third party, such as the negligence of a city that failed to repair a dangerous pothole or put in a warning about a sharp turn. Our lawyers will dig deep to identify how your accident happened and who’s to blame.
Why Is It Important to Hire a Car Accident Lawyer?
Hiring an Odessa car accident lawyer is always a good idea if you have suffered injuries due to someone else’s negligence. This is because insurance companies will do everything in their power to reduce the value of your claim or deny it altogether. Big insurers also have aggressive lawyers on their side, ready to fight for their best interests.
When you work with an experienced car accident lawyer in Odessa, insurance adjusters will know that you are prepared to fight for the full and fair compensation you are owed. Our car accident lawyers are skilled negotiators, investigators, and litigators, and our team will work hard on your behalf to demand the justice that you deserve.
Compensation in Car Accident Claims
When someone else’s negligence leaves you injured, you deserve to recover compensation for your economic and noneconomic damages. Our accident and injury lawyers will advocate for full compensation for your:
- Medical expenses (now and in the future)
- Pain and suffering
- Lost wages and reduced earning capacity for the future
- Property damage costs
- All other financial and noneconomic losses
In order to be able to recover compensation in a car accident lawsuit, you must bring forth your civil action within two years, which is the statute of limitations in Texas. You should speak with a lawyer as soon as possible about your case to ensure you do not miss any deadlines and forfeit your legal right to compensation.
Our Odessa Car Accident Attorneys Will Fight for You
Don’t wait to take action if you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident and believe someone else was to blame. You need to retain the counsel of a skilled personal injury lawyer in Odessa.
Our auto accident lawyers at Ketterman Rowland & Westlund are ready to start working on your claim today. You can meet with us in a free consultation ─ all you have to do is call us directly or send us a message to get started.