Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer
A drunk driving accident can turn your life upside down in an instant, causing extensive damage to your vehicle and leaving you with life-altering and even life-threatening injuries. Although nothing can erase the pain that you have been put through, you should not be left to suffer financially for the dangerous decisions of a drunk driver.
If you have been hurt by someone who chose to drink and drive, contact the San Antonio drunk driving accident lawyers of KRW Lawyers today to schedule a free case evaluation. Our legal team will discuss your case, explain your legal rights, and aggressively pursue the full compensation you need for your injuries and damages.
Why Choose Our Drunk Driving Accident Attorneys?
At KRW Lawyers, our powerful team of dedicated, experienced, and skilled personal injury attorneys can help you demand the compensation you deserve to cover all past, current, and future losses related to your accident. We know how to investigate these cases and maximize value for our clients, and our team has a long track record of holding drunk drivers accountable.
Our attorneys have the knowledge and the resources necessary to take on even the most complex cases, while at the same time providing you with the compassionate, focused client service that you expect and deserve.
How Our Lawyers Can Help If You Were Hurt by a Drunk Driver
When you choose KRW Lawyers to handle your case, you can trust that we will work quickly and efficiently to pursue the maximum monetary compensation you need.
- Our legal team will start by thoroughly investigating your accident and working with experts to create an accident reconstruction analysis that shows how the drunk driver’s inebriation caused your crash.
- We will work with you to document the full extent of the losses you have suffered, including both economic damages and non-economic damages. Our team may consult with medical experts, life care planners, economists, and other professionals to assess how your injuries will affect you in the long term.
- Our seasoned attorneys will not back down when the insurance companies try to use their vast resources and other tactics to minimize the value of your drunk driving accident claim. We will handle all communication with the insurers and the at-fault party, allowing you to focus on your health and your recovery.
- Our lawyers will aggressively negotiate with the insurance companies in pursuit of a full and fair settlement. However, we will also diligently work to prepare your case for trial, if necessary. Building a strong case for trial lets the other side and the insurance companies know that we are prepared to do what it takes to secure the financial compensation you deserve.
Pursuing Justice After a Drunk Driving Accident
If you were injured in an accident where the other driver was under the influence of alcohol, you are entitled to demand justice. A drunk driver is usually considered to be negligent as a matter of law when he or she is involved in a motor vehicle accident. If a driver in an accident is found to be under the influence, he or she will likely be arrested by the police and charged with DUI.
When a drunk driver is criminally charged with DUI, the prosecutor is considered to seek justice on behalf of the state or the people. If the driver is convicted, the trial court will sentence the driver to incarceration or probation. In addition, the trial court can assess court costs against the driver and order the driver to pay restitution to any people who were injured or who suffered damages in the accident caused by the drunk driver.
Separate from any criminal case, you may also be entitled to file a civil lawsuit if a drunk driver was at fault for your motor vehicle accident. In a civil case, you will be entitled to seek compensation for your economic damages, like medical expenses and lost wages, and for your non-economic damages, like pain and suffering and lost quality of life.
Compensation for Accident Victims
You can seek compensation from a drunk driver for the damages you may have incurred as a result of the accident. Compensation for drunk driving accident victims can include damages such as:
- Past and future medical expenses to treat your injuries
- Lost wages for time missed from work
- Lost earning potential, if your injuries prevent you from returning to your pre-accident work
- Pain and suffering
- Lost quality of life
- Property damage
In addition, drunk driving accident claims may result in an award of punitive damages (damages intended to punish an at-fault party for egregious behavior), especially if a drunk driver has a history of DUIs.
How Long Can the Lawsuit Take to Resolve?
If you decide to file a civil lawsuit against the drunk driver responsible for your accident, you may wonder how long it will take for you to receive the compensation you may be entitled to. The length of time that a lawsuit can take will depend on several factors.
First, if the drunk driver accepts fault for the accident, it can make your legal claim proceed much more quickly. However, if the drunk driver denies fault or tries to claim that you bear some share of fault for the accident, the claims process can take longer as you try to resolve the issue of fault.
Next, the severity of your injuries can affect when your claim is resolved. If you can reach full recovery in a short period of time, or the amount of your future medical expenses can be reasonably estimated, then your claim can be more quickly resolved. However, if you require months or even years of treatment, where it may be difficult to estimate the cost of your future medical needs or lost wages/income, resolving your claim may take longer.
It is important that you reach full recovery or your future expenses become clear so that you can seek the full compensation you deserve. You only get one legal claim, and once it is over, you cannot assert another claim even if you incur future damages.
Finally, if it becomes necessary to take your claim to court, the duration of your lawsuit will largely depend both on the factual and legal complexity of your case and on the availability and scheduling of the court.
Contact KRW Lawyers
Although pursuing a claim for compensation against a drunk driver after a motor vehicle accident seems like a straightforward process, it is crucial that you have a skilled attorney advocating for you. Contact KRW Lawyers today to schedule a free consultation with one of our knowledgeable drunk driving accident lawyers. We can help you understand your legal rights and options and discuss how our firm can help you demand the optimal outcome for your case.ett