Phil Bernal was born in Eagle Pass, Texas and speaks Spanish fluently. Phil graduated from Southside High School in San Antonio, Texas. Phil graduated from St. Mary’s Law School in 1990. Phil practiced respiratory therapy here in San Antonio, Texas from 1980-1988 where he was involved in the care, treatment and therapy for patients on short term and long term ventilation in the Surgical Intensive Care Units and Medical Intensive Care Units.
Phil has been Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law since 1998 by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. Phil currently concentrates his practice representing victims in the areas of personal injury, products liability, premises liability and trucking and auto accidents.
Phil is licensed to practice law in State, District and County Courts in the State of Texas, as well as Federal District Courts for the Western District and Eastern District of Texas.
Phil proudly joined Ketterman Rowland & Westlund after 12 years as a sole practitioner.
Phil is the proud parent of daughter Nicole. In his spare time, Phil is an avid endurance athlete and has run several marathons, half marathons and competed in triathlons.
- Mexican American Bar Association
- San Antonio Bar Association
- Fellow San Antonio Bar Foundation
- San Antonio Trial Lawyers Association
- Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity
- American Diabetes Association Board Member (1986-1987)
- Pennies From Heaven Foundation Board Member (2007
- San Antonio Bar Association Fee Dispute Committee (2002-present)
- Fellow San Antonio Bar Foundation (1998-present)
- Best Lawyers in San Antonio: Peer Reviewed Scene in SAMonthly Magazine (2011 and 2012)
- Texas Super Lawyers by Thompson Reuters; peer-reviewed (2014)
- Board Certified
- Personal Injury Trial Law
- Texas Board of Legal Specialization 1998
- Southwest Texas State: BA Hospital Administration, minor Respiratory Therapy, 1983
- St. Marys Law School: Doctor of Jurisprudence, 1990
Admitted to the Bar
- State Bar of Texas: 1990
- Federal Bar – United States Western District 1992
- Federal Bar – United States Eastern District 1996
Contact Phil Bernal