Walmart Employee Stabbed During Robbery
According to KSAT-12, an off-duty deputy was in the right place at the right time Saturday afternoon when his swift action possibly saved a Walmart Loss Prevention employee’s life.
Authorities were dispatched to a Walmart in the 8000 block of Bandera Road just before 1 p.m. Saturday for a report of a stabbing.
An officer at the scene said a plain-clothes Loss Prevention crew member was following the shoplifter when he confronted him as he tried to leave the store. The employee was stabbed during the confrontation.
Police said an off-duty deputy got a tourniquet on the Loss Prevention crew member’s stab wound and that move is what “probably saved his life.”
First responders are treating the injury as life-threatening because the man was stabbed near a major artery.
Authorities dispatched a police helicopter, K-9s, officers, and detectives to find the robber who ran from the scene.
Police said because the suspect matches the description of homeless panhandlers in the area, locating him has been difficult.
This poor employee was almost killed for doing his job. Unfortunately, this scenario is common in large stores since they have such a high customer volume.
Being stabbed by another person while you are working may not be high on the list of things most people fear can go wrong at their job. Some types of jobs may come at a higher risk for this type of injury, but for the most part, you may be more likely to slip and fall at your work than any other type of injury. While working as loss prevention or as a cashier, you may be more likely to get hurt by violence, but in construction or in the oilfields, you might be likely to get have an injury with machinery involved.
Crime Facts at a Glance 2014 According to the Texas Department of Public Safety:
- There were 913,403 index crime offenses reported with a 20.3 percent clearance rate for Texas in 2014.
- The crime rate for the State of Texas was 3,392.2 index offenses for every 100,000 inhabitants.
- During 2014, Texas law enforcement officers made 878,686 arrests. Of those arrested, 6.6 percent were 16 years of age and under.
- Firearms were used in 63.3 percent of all murders reported.
- There were 65,338 aggravated assaults reported. Of these, 21.3 percent were committed by the use of hands, fists, and feet; 21.4 percent involved a knife or cutting instrument, and 24.2 percent involved a firearm.
- 185,817 family violence incidents during 2014. There were 201,051 victims and 195,511 offenders.
- There were 18,756 sexual assault incidents reported with 19,834 victims and 19,821 offenders.
San Antonio Work Injury Attorney
There are many jobs that require the employee to confront people that may or may not become volatile, such as the loss prevention position at Wal-Mart. Another such job is a vehicle recovery specialist. Fortunately for the man in the above story, there was someone around to help because this situation could have easily ended in a homicide. If you or someone you know has been the victim of a work-related injury due to another individual and are seeking legal advice, contact our law office and let us help you with your options.