How Our Attorneys Can Help Your Family
If it’s time to pursue a wrongful death claim, the experienced wrongful death attorneys at Ketterman Rowland & Westlund are here for you. They’ve handled wrongful death claims throughout the area, and they understand how difficult this time is for you and your family. Our wrongful death attorneys can help in many ways, including investigating the accident, managing communications, and negotiating with insurers and others responsible, as well as advocating for you and the justice that your loved one deserves.
One of the most important ways that a wrongful death lawyer can help is by investigating the cause and circumstances of the accident that caused your loved one’s death. Wrongful death claims must provide a deep level of information and detail, so it’s important to have a seasoned investigator on your side during the process. Our wrongful death lawyers know what a wrongful death claim requires, and they’ll work tirelessly to secure the evidence that your claim needs.
Another important way that a wrongful death attorney can help is by handling any communications about your claim with insurance companies and others. A wrongful death claim is a serious matter that may generate a tremendous number of calls, meetings, and discussions. A wrongful death attorney knows how to take the burden off of you by handling these communications and everything else that your claim needs.
An experienced wrongful death lawyer can also take care of any negotiations surrounding your claim. After the loss of a loved one, those responsible for the death may refuse to settle your claim, or they may try to settle for much less than the claim deserves. Negotiations can be very complicated, and the other side may try to dodge any liability. An experienced wrongful death lawyer knows the ins and outs of a wrongful death claim, knows how the other side operates, and knows how to work toward the settlement you deserve.
Finally, if your wrongful death claim needs to go to court, a wrongful death lawyer can handle everything that your case needs. Legal strategy, court filings, and representation in court are only a few of the ways that a wrongful death lawyer can help you. Court cases are time-consuming and can be extremely complex and contentious. If your claim needs to go to court, you can relax knowing that your lawyer is watching out for you.
After unexpectedly losing a loved one, you may feel overwhelmed and unsure of your next steps. At KRW Lawyers, we’re proud to help those who have suffered the loss of a loved one. We understand how much your claim means to you, and how important it is to find the justice that your loved one deserves. When it’s time to begin a wrongful death claim, speak with our wrongful death lawyers.
Deadline for Filing a Wrongful Death Claim in Texas
A statute of limitations places a strict limit on how much time you have to file a wrongful death claim. In Texas, survivors typically have two years from the date of death to bring a claim. The deadline is strictly enforced with only the narrowest exceptions.
If you’re considering a wrongful death claim, speak with an attorney about your case. An attorney can advise you on how long you have to file and can begin working on your claim immediately.
Although two years may seem like plenty of time to file a claim, there are many steps involved in building a wrongful death claim. When you get the work started quickly, you are giving yourself and your attorney more time to prepare.
Common Causes of Wrongful Death
Some of the most common causes of wrongful death include:
- Car, truck, and motorcycle accidents. The roads can be a dangerous place, and too quickly we can lose a loved one in an accident. If you’ve lost someone you love in a fatal car, truck, or motorcycle accident, a wrongful death claim may help you find the resources you need to move forward.
- Driving under the influence of drugs and alcohol. Many people get behind the wheel when they shouldn’t. Impaired drivers put their lives on the line along with the lives of everyone else on the road. If you’ve lost a loved one due to another’s drunk or drugged driving, you may be able to bring a wrongful death claim.
- Medical malpractice. Even a small error during a medical procedure can result in disaster. When medical malpractice causes the death of a loved one, a wrongful death claim may help those left behind find the compensation and justice they need.
- Nursing home abuse. Nursing home neglect and abuse may cause the loss of those we love. When a nursing home facility causes the death of a loved one, a wrongful death claim may help those left behind.
- Slip-and-fall accidents. These accidents can result in serious injury, lasting harm, and even death.
- Workplace accidents. Many workplaces are dangerous, but that’s no excuse for a wrongful death on the job. If you’ve lost a loved one due to a workplace accident, there may be options for compensation.
- Defective and dangerous products. We count on the products we use to work as intended. Unfortunately, they can fail at the wrong time, injuring and even killing those who relied on them.
These and many other causes may bring about the death of a loved one. Although there is no way to bring back your loved one, a wrongful death claim may help those left behind find the compensation and justice that they need.