In a Dallas News report, law enforcement officials are investigating a Lampasas County Sheriff’s Deputy punching a young man in the face at least four times during a traffic stop early Thursday. Sheriff’s deputies were assisting Lampasas police about 3:15 a.m. on a call about an erratic driver when a sheriff’s deputy is seen on video straddling and hitting Quinton Eldridge Cruce, 18, while an officer holds his legs.
Cruce, of Copperas Cove, was charged with assault of a public servant, resisting arrest, interference with public duties, and driving while intoxicated. One of his passengers, Gage Blackwell, 18, of Lampasas was charged with assault of a public servant, resisting arrest, interference with public duties, and being a minor in consumption of alcohol, officials told the Dispatch Record. The other passenger, who was not arrested, posted the video to Twitter. She can be heard yelling, “Don’t hit my friend.”
Crime Facts at a Glance 2014 According to the Texas Department of Public Safety:
- There were 913,403 index crime offenses reported with a 20.3 percent clearance rate for Texas in 2014.
- Also, the crime rate for the State of Texas was 3,392.2 index offenses for every 100,000 inhabitants.
- During 2014, Texas law enforcement officers also made 878,686 arrests. Of those arrested, 6.6 percent were 16 years of age and under.
- Firearms were used in 63.3 percent of all murders reported.
- There were 65,338 aggravated assaults reported. Of these, 21.3 percent were committed by the use of hands, fists, and also feet; 21.4 percent involved a knife or cutting instrument, and 24.2 percent involved a firearm.
- 185,817 family violence incidents during 2014. There were 201,051 victims as well as 195,511 offenders.
- There were 18,756 sexual assault incidents reported with 19,834 victims and 19,821 offenders.
One person can be assaulted by anyone, unfortunately even a law enforcement officer. We expect a higher standard, but in moments of physical anger, and reaction, anything can happen. If you have been the victim of a personal injury, contact our offices today.