Fraud Charges Faced
John Joseph Swatek, 40, of San Antonio is facing felony charges of theft between $2,500 and $30,000 according to reports from the San Antonio Express.
Swatek allegedly scammed a person out of a $9,000 deposit after agreeing to repair a roof. After continued excuses on why he could not begin the labor on the roof, the customer requested a refund. After many failed attempts, the customer contacted the roofing supply company Swatek was contracted through to end the contract and get a refund; however, there was no record of a man by that name working for them.
Swatek has allegedly pulled the same roofing repair scheme with other people and if convicted, could spend up to two years in prison.
Crime Facts at a Glance 2014 According to the Texas Department of Public Safety:
- There were 913,403 index crime offenses reported with a 20.3 percent clearance rate for Texas in 2014.
- The crime rate for the State of Texas was 3,392.2 index offenses for every 100,000 inhabitants.
- During 2014, Texas law enforcement officers made 878,686 arrests. Of those arrested, 6.6 percent were 16 years of age and under.
- Firearms were used in 63.3 percent of all murders reported.
- There were 65,338 aggravated assaults reported. Of these, 21.3 percent were committed by the use of hands, fists, and feet; 21.4 percent involved a knife or cutting instrument, and 24.2 percent involved a firearm.
- 185,817 family violence incidents during 2014. There were 201,051 victims and 195,511 offenders.
- There were 18,756 sexual assault incidents reported with 19,834 victims and 19,821 offenders.
The elderly are not the only targets for criminals like John Joseph Swatek. Many people are scammed out of thousands of dollars every year. These types of criminals have excellent people skills and are typically coined as having the “gift of gab.” They are not easy to spot which makes them all the more dangerous. These criminals are good at what they do and prey on all types of people. If you, or someone you know, have been a victim of one of these kinds of scams, please contact our offices for a consultation.