According to ABC13, a mother has died as a result of the injuries she sustained after being hit by in Sienna Plantation on Thursday morning.
The accident happened near Sienna Ranch Road around 7:30 a.m. Police said the woman, identified as 37-year-old Lisa Smith, was walking with her 6-year-old son to Jan Schiff Elementary School when they were hit. The driver who hit them was a grandmother who had just dropped her grandchildren off at the school. The grandmother stopped immediately after hitting Smith and her son, and is cooperating with the investigation.
According to residents, during the busy morning rush, several cars speed down Sienna Ranch Road especially since there is no crossing guard at the intersection. Rekha Silas said “We saw the police and all the fire trucks here. It breaks my heart to see something like that. We don’t know what happened, to whom, but still, when we see something like this, it breaks our heart.”
“It is heartbreaking. Fort Bend County is all about families. How many of you said goodbye to your wife and family and said ‘have a great day’ and you just don’t know. Just love your family each and every day. Count your blessings, folks,” said Fort Bend County Sheriff Troy Nehls.
According to the reports, the 6-year-old boy was confirmed to be in stable condition.
2015 Pedestrian Fatalities
According to the National Center for Statistics and Analysis
- Pedestrian fatalities increased by 466, a 9.5 percent increase.
- The 2015 pedestrian fatality count (5,376) is the highest number since 1996.
- Pedal cyclist fatality count (818) is the highest number since 1995.
- The number of people injured increased by 105,000, a statistically significant 4.5 percent increase.
- The number of passenger vehicle occupants injured increased 107,000, a 5.2 percent increase.
- Pedestrians injured increased by 5,000, a 7.7 percent increase.
- Fatalities of pedestrians increased by 466 (a 9.5 percent increase), and are at their highest number since 1996.
- Pedal cyclist fatalities increased by 89 (a 12.2 percent increase), and are at their highest level since 1995.
San Antonio Personal Injury Lawyer
Pedestrian accident are usually very fatal when it happens, which is why motorists must yield to people crossing the street or crossing the paths of automobiles. This young boy will now have to grow up with out his mother because the driver was not paying attention. The pain and suffering this family will go through could have been avoided. Victims of these types of accidents suffer emotionally and physically, not to mention financially. Our San Antonio Personal Injury Attorneys make it a priority to help victims like you get full compensation for accident-related expenses, including medical bills and lost wages. Contact us today and schedule a free consultation.