According to KSAT, FBI reported that a bank robbery suspect was forced to strip naked and run along a busy Fort Lauderdale street after a red dye pack exploded in his possession. The suspect, Alexander Sperber, 25, has been charged with bank robbery.
According to a federal criminal complaint, Sperber told the FBI that he woke up Tuesday morning and decided to rob a bank. Sperber said he planned to get away “by running naked down the street while throwing the money stolen during the bank robbery to people in order to begin his career as a comedian.”
The FBI said Sperber drove his Ford Mustang to the Regions Bank on Southeast Third Avenue, parked in the parking lot, entered the bank and demanded money from the teller, who gave him about $4,700 in a bag.
As Sperber ran away, the dye pack exploded, staining his clothes and a cast on his left wrist, FBI Special Agent Louis Bronstein wrote in the complaint.
“Sperber removed his clothes and ran naked in the vicinity of Las Olas Boulevard, throwing money as he ran,” the complaint said.
Fort Lauderdale police arrested Sperber near Northeast Fourth Street, and the teller identified Sperber as the man who robbed the bank.
Police, concerned for Sperber’s health, took him to Broward Health Medical Center, where he was found to be coherent and uninjured.
The FBI said red dye was visible on Sperber’s cast and his left pants pocket.
Crime Facts at a Glance 2014 According to the Texas Department of Public Safety:
- There were 913,403 index crime offenses reported with a 20.3 percent clearance rate for Texas in 2014.
- The crime rate for the state of Texas was 3,392.2 index offenses for every 100,000 inhabitants.
- During 2014, Texas law enforcement officers made 878,686 arrests. Of those arrested, 6.6 percent were 16 years of age and under.
- Firearms were used in 63.3 percent of all murders reported.
- There were 65,338 aggravated assaults reported. Of these, 21.3 percent were committed by the use of hands, fists, and feet; 21.4 percent involved a knife or cutting instrument, and 24.2 percent involved a firearm.
- 185,817 family violence incidents during 2014. There were 201,051 victims and 195,511 offenders.
- There were 18,756 sexual assault incidents reported with 19,834 victims and 19,821 offenders.
National Coalition Against Domestic Violence 2015 Statistics:
- Every 9 seconds in the US a woman is assaulted or beaten.
- In the United States, an average of 20 people are physically abused by intimate partners every minute. This equates to more than 10 million abuse victims annually.
- 1 in 3 women and 1 in 4 men have been physically abused by an intimate partner.
- 1 in 5 women and 1 in 7 men have been severely physically abused by an intimate partner.
- The presence of a gun in a domestic violence situation increases the risk of homicide by 500%.
- Domestic violence accounts for 15% of all violent crime.
- Domestic violence is most common among women between the ages of 18-24.
- 19% of domestic violence involves a weapon.
- Domestic victimization is correlated with a higher rate of depression and suicidal behavior.
- Only 34% of people who are injured by intimate partners receive medical care for their injuries.
San Antonio Personal Injury or Wrongful Death Lawyers
Although this story provides some comic relief in the midst of a criminal act, not all robbery stories have such a comical ending. Often times, innocent people are injured or killed during bank robberies. Obviously, the criminal robbing the bank is unhinged, but they may not always intend on hurting someone even if circumstances warrant it. Either way, criminal activity of any kind can have dire consequences that can ruin the lives of many people. If you or someone you know has been injured or killed in a robbery and are seeking legal advice, contact our law office and let us help you with your options.