Slip and Fall Lawyer
After a slip-and-fall accident, you may be seriously injured and struggling just to get by. Recovering from an injury can take months or longer and can drain you of the energy, time, and resources that you need to fully recover. You don’t have to do it alone. Make sure that you’re getting the trusted legal help that you deserve.
Here’s how KRW will get the compensation you deserve.
- Personalized attention to YOUR case
- Work fast to obtain evidence
- We know how to deal with insurance companies
- Settlement negotiating
- Backed with data and statistics
- Winning in the courtroom
At KRW, we’re committed to fighting for your legal right to fair compensation. We have handled many types of slip-and-fall cases over the years, and we know what goes into building a strong claim for the compensation that our clients need.
Our slip-and-fall lawyers have been recognized by America’s Top 100 Lawyers, National Trial Lawyers, and Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum. Our work has also been recognized as a top-tier firm by leading publications such as BestLawyers. In every slip-and-fall claim, we’ll bring the experience, knowledge, and service that your case needs.
If you’ve been injured, we offer a free case evaluation. We can discuss your options and answer any questions you may have. After an injury, call us or use our online form to get in touch today.
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
- Slick floors and unsafe surfaces. Floors may be slippery due to reasons ranging from cleaning procedures and leaky pipes to liquid spills and poor maintenance. The flooring may also be unsafe, such as using slippery surfaces such as linoleum on a service ramp. Regardless of why a floor is slick, it’s important to remember that property owners and others have duties to keep their guests safe from harm, and that means having safe, well-maintained flooring in place.
- Poor lighting. Lighting helps guests identify dangers and avoid them. If a property owner or renter fails to provide adequate lighting, they may be responsible for the injuries that result.
- Inadequate maintenance. Property owners should provide regular maintenance of the areas where guests are invited. This maintenance helps to ensure that the premises are safe. When they don’t provide the maintenance and care that they should, they may be breaching their duties.
Types of Compensation for Victims of Slip-and-Fall Accidents
Common types of compensation in a slip-and-fall case include:
- Medical expenses. After an accident, you may be facing significant medical bills for your care. You may also be facing future medical costs related to your injuries. A slip-and-fall claim can help you recover the cost of your medical treatment and the treatment your injuries will need in the future.
- Lost income and loss of earning capacity. Slip-and-fall accidents can put you out of work for a long time. A claim can help you recover the lost wages that you’ve suffered due to the accident, and can help you recover for damage that the accident does to your future earning potential.
- Pain and anguish. Injuries from a fall may result in lasting physical pain that can harm your quality of life and your ability to live the life you want. An accident may also cause lasting mental harm, such as anxiety and depression. Our attorneys can review your case and help you understand whether these damages may be available in your claim.
- Property damage. A slip-and-fall accident may ruin your personal property including clothing, electronic devices, jewelry, and other valuable items you have. A slip-and-fall claim may include compensation for the cost of repairing or replacing your damaged property.
How an Attorney Can Help After a Slip-and-Fall Accident
An attorney can help you in many ways including evaluating your injuries, investigating the accident, calculating the full extent of your losses, negotiating a settlement, and if needed, representing you in court. At every step of the claim, an attorney can provide valuable guidance and knowledge that can help your claim move forward.
One of the most important ways that an attorney can help is by investigating the true cause of your accident and assembling evidence that supports your claim. When you’re seriously injured in a slip-and-fall accident, you’ll likely need to back up your claim for compensation with medical records, expert analysis, and other essential evidence. An attorney can advise you on what you’ll need and how much compensation you may be entitled to, and can then help you locate and gather the evidence you need.
Another important way that an attorney can help is by investigating your accident and determining who should be held responsible. Several parties may be responsible for your slip-and-fall injuries, including property owners, maintenance companies, manufacturers, and many others. An attorney can investigate how you were injured and who should be held accountable for the harm that you’ve suffered.
Once your claim is moving forward, an attorney can handle any negotiations with insurance companies or others responsible for your injuries. These negotiations can be very complex and may require significant time and effort to resolve. An attorney knows how these negotiations usually proceed and understands how insurers and others will try to minimize the compensation they have to pay. Throughout the negotiation process, an attorney can serve as your advocate for the compensation you deserve.
An attorney can take your claim to court if needed. While most slip-and-fall claims settle before trial, if those who were responsible for your injuries won’t offer a reasonable settlement, an attorney can fight to hold them accountable in court. An attorney knows how to build your case, prepare evidence, and represent you.
When you’re recovering from a slip-and-fall injury, you’ve got enough on your mind. Let an experienced attorney handle your claim. At KRW, we have years of experience representing slip-and-fall accident victims. We’re ready to put that experience to work for you.
What to Do If You’ve Been Hurt in a Fall
- Seek the medical care you need. In some cases, you may need emergency medical care, but in others, you may feel okay, at least initially. Whether you feel okay or not, you should still contact a medical professional and get a full evaluation of any potential injuries. After a slip-and-fall accident, some injuries may take time to show up, so a medical evaluation can help you catch problems before they become more serious.
- Report the accident to the owner or business. It’s important for them to know about the accident and the dangers that may be present for others. Refrain from taking any blame for the accident.
- Take photos and video of the accident scene. If you are unable to do so, see if you can find someone you trust to do it. Remember that an accident scene may change soon after you leave, and those responsible for the accident may clean the area. Videos and photos can help you and investigators understand exactly what happened at the time of the accident.
- Collect witness contact information including names and numbers. Witnesses may leave after an accident, never to be seen again. If someone saw your accident, make sure you get their contact information.
- Keep the clothing and footwear you had on at the time of the accident. An accident may ruin your clothing and shoes, but even so, it’s a good idea to keep them and not wash them. Your shoes and clothing can give important clues about what happened during and after your accident.
- Follow medical care instructions. Medical care is essential immediately after an accident, but it’s just as important to follow the instructions that your doctor gives you. Do everything they say, make it to every appointment if possible, and make sure you have records of the treatment that you received.
- Talk with an attorney about your slip-and-fall accident. After an accident, an attorney can act quickly to protect your claim and the evidence you need. Focus your effort on healing and let an attorney manage your claim.
What You Have to Prove in a Slip-and-Fall Claim
In Texas, you’ll need to prove several elements to show that the defendant was negligent. You’ll also need to show that you weren’t primarily responsible for the injuries that you suffered. Proving a slip-and-fall case requires close review and many important details to support your claim.
First, you’ll need to show that the defendant had a duty to protect your safety. For example, any time you’re a guest on another person’s property, that person takes on duties to protect you and keep you safe from harm. This means that they need to identify hazards, warn you about them, and take steps to correct them. This is an important duty that can help keep you safe.
Next, you’ll need to show that the defendant breached their duty to you. A defendant breaches their duty to you when they fail to keep you safe on their property. Perhaps they didn’t notify you of a slippery floor, didn’t fix a broken step, or otherwise failed to warn you of a danger or failed to correct a dangerous condition. When you’re a guest on another person’s property, they must work to keep you safe, or they may breach their duties to you.
After that, you’ll have to show that there was a direct link between the breach of duty and your injuries – that the defendant’s breach of duty caused your injuries. For example, let’s say you’re in a store and slip on a wet floor caused by a broken pipe. Let’s also say that there were no warning signs and no hint that the problem existed. In a case like that, you could easily say that you wouldn’t have slipped but for the property owner’s negligence in maintaining a safe place for you to shop. In this case, there is a clear connection between the store owner’s negligence and your injuries.
Once you’ve proven these elements, you’ll need to prove that you suffered an injury because of the accident. Some accidents don’t result in harm, so you’ll need to show exactly how the accident harmed you. You can show your injuries with medical records, witness statements, and other documents.
Finally, in Texas, it’s important to know that your compensation may be reduced by the amount that you contributed to your injuries, and if you were more than 50 percent responsible for your injuries, you may not be able to recover anything.
If you have questions about proving your claim, speak with a slip-and-fall lawyer today. A lawyer can review your case, answer your questions, and guide you on the right path. A slip-and-fall claim can be an important way for you to find the compensation you need, so if it’s time to start a claim, speak with a lawyer today.
San Antonio’s Most Trusted Law Firm
At KRW, we help injury victims fight for the compensation they deserve. We know what goes into building a strong claim for compensation, and we put our knowledge and experience to work for every client.
If you’ve been injured in a slip-and-fall accident, call us today or use our online form to set up a free case evaluation.